Commercial Roofing Q&A
What Wears Out A Roof?
- Exposure… Either long-term exposure to the elements (sun, water, freeze-thaw, etc.) or short-term exposure to damaging air pollutants and chemicals
- Structural Movement… Such as building settlement or expansion/contraction not accommodated by the roofing system
- Biological Growth… Such as vegetation in areas of standing water or algae
- Not Fixing Problems Promptly… These can add up to a much shorter roof life—e.g., if a small problem is not repaired, then a large amount of insulation can be damaged
- Forgetting About Maintenance… This is perhaps the biggest cause of premature roof failure
- Change In The Use Of The Building… e.g., an increase in the interior relative humidity of a building can cause severe condensation problems within the roofing system